November 17, 2014

My top 10 cake decorating tools

In my posts I often mention fondant tools, cutters etc.
When I started making cakes, I had nothing but kitchen knife, old wooden rolling pin and few plastic cookie cutters.
As my business grew, I started buying tools and kitchen accessories. I became one of those craft ladies who buys tools and wear one pair of shoes for years :)
Now I have large collection of different tools, molds, cutters... Not all of them are necessary for baking and cake decorating, but they are very, very helpful.
If you are a beginner it's really hard to choose what to buy, there are thousands of different tools out there. I do have some of tools that I've used only ones, and now they're sitting in my kitchen doing nothing.
I'll show you tools I use (and some of them will be linked with my store where you can buy them). Keep in mind that there are lot of similar tools made by different manufacturers and that there could be slight quality difference.

1. Fondant smoother

This is the first tool I've bought. I couldn't work without it anymore. It's the best thing that will help you smooth fondant on the cake.
I use it on every cake covered with fondant. Here is me using it for my Disney princess castle, and here it is in my store 






2. Fondant modeling set

When I say fondant tools I often refer to this set. I use this very often, for modeling figures, for flowers, details on the cake...
You can find it at my Make Me A Cake Supplies shop





















3. Metal ball modeling tool

It's great for making gumpaste flowers, but it can be used in many more ways. Like this...




4. Rolling pin

To tell you the truth, I'm still using the same old wooden rolling pin, you can see it in the background














5. Craft knife with different blades set

 Here are some great offers in my Make Me a Cake Supplies store(no pics of me cutting the fondant, 'cause I have to be careful while cutting :) )







6. Flower cutters set

This is Wilton set I have and I use it often. There are different size and shape flowers and leaves cutters and beautiful small wooden rolling pin in the set.





















I've just found a supplier and ordered this set for my store

7. Cookie cutters

You can use them for cookies or fondant decorations... These are some of cutters I have and use often.

Wilton's 101 piece cookie cutters - there are letters, numbers and different holidays shaped cutters inside.









8. Silicone molds

There are tons of amazing silicone molds for fondant and gumpaste. I have few of them and I want to have so much more...







Winx Bloom cake




Wedding cake



9. Plunger cutters 

Stars, flowers, snowflakes, hearts, butterflies... They are amazing, easy to work with.
Here they are on some of my cakes.


Snowflakes on my Angry birds Star wars cake

Snowflakes on my Frozen cake



Stars...


Stars on my Star wars cake




Hearts...


Hearts on my Winx cake



Butterflies..


Butterflies on my Peacock cake



And much more...

Here is the set, with 33 pieces of plunger cutters which I use quite a lot 


MakeMeACakeSupplies



10. Icing tools 

 And for my cakes decorated with whiping cream or buttercream I use this














Chocolate transfer and whipped cream decoration


Whipped cream roses








No comments:

Post a Comment